(Editors note: I’m live blogging again.Â Hit the refresh button every 10 minutes or so to get updates on the game.)
Good afternoon everyone and welcome to another edition of Bulldozer Baseball.Â I’m your host, Ken Crawford.Â A reminder that Bulldozer Baseball is brough to you by Catapillar:
Catapiller, why bulldoze with anything else?
And Yahoo! Sports:
Yahoo! Sports, what kind of a yahoo are you?
MLB.com, from the people who brought you 10 AM playoff games.
and finally HP:
HP, inventing new ways to bend the rules.
The first inning is coming up!
- Haren got a shakey start, giving up 2 hits in the top of the first.Â Haren is not like Zito where he seems to get in a groove later in the game.Â This could be a bad sign.
- Nice to see Kendall striking out… why is it I feel like I see him strike out every third at bat and then the announcers tell me “well you don’t see Kendall strike out often”?
- A’s go down in order… ugh.
- Uh oh… Morneau doubled to lead off the second.Â This could get ugly.
- Man, Haren sure is cutting things close.Â Men on 1st and 3rd with two outs… out of jam yet again.Â The won’t hold up.Â The A’s better start scoring some runs.
- CHAVEY! CHAVEY! CHAVEY!Â I knew it was only so long before he found his mojo.Â Hitting behind The Big Hurt pitchers will tend to forget about him.Â A homer was the result. 1-0 A’s.
- OH YES!Â Scutaro my man!Â Just when you think the A’s aren’t going to make anything happen of an opportunity, Scutaro doubles to bring the score to 2-0!
- Inning over.Â Should I make anything of the fact that our new 2nd baseman grounded out?…. nah, not yet.
- Haren finally got through an inning unscathed.Â Maybe all he needed was a 2 run lead…
- Man, this is looking great!Â Bradley hits a 2 run homer in the 3rd (it’s amazing how much fielding errors come back to bite a team eh Twinkies? (Kotsay was on base because of a fielding error)).Â A’s up now 4-0!
- Well, after getting two outs, Haren gave up a homerun.Â That’s OK, we’re still up by 3 and it means that Haren is challenging the hitters and will more likely get through his innings quicker.Â A’s lead is now 4-1.
- OK, Haren got that last out.Â On to the bottom of the inning!
- Good news, Kendall is up with a man onÂ 1st and 2Â out.Â As Doc. Brown would say: “Do you know what this means?”Â It means he physically CAN’T ground into a double play!
- I’ve got to keep making fun of Kendall before his at bats.Â Every time I do the guy gets a hit.Â Men on 1st andÂ 2nd with 2 outs.Â Come on Kotsay!
- Well, couldn’t quite get it done.Â But it’s nice that we’re keeping the pressure on their pitching.
- I’m sure any pitcher can tell you how much easier it is to pitch with a lead: Just keep throwing strikes.Â Haren get’s through the side without much trouble.
- CHAVEY! CHAV… wait, he only get’s one for a double.Â Nevertheless, Chavey came to play today.Â Too bad I couldn’t see Thomas lumbering around the bases on Chavey’s double.Â I’m sure he wanted to come home, but a locamotive like that doesn’t get going all that fast.Â OK Payton, bring ‘em home!
- Ron Washington… I know this guy is a great coach for a young team and shares a lot with the new guys, but for crying out loud, why is he sending Thomas home on an infield ground-out?
- Inning over without scoring again.Â How many times can I say “at least we’re keeping the pressure on”?
- NOOOO! That’s the one thing we can’t afford.Â Morneau and Hunter continuing to kill us with doubles.
- NICE!Â Bradley threw out Hunter at home on a single.Â Although the Twinkies got 1 run back, we also defused the threat.Â A’s lead is now 4-2.
- OK, onto the bottom of the inning.Â It’ll be interesting to see if Haren makes it out for the 7th.
- A’s go down in order… notice how the A’s score in the early innings they play “hold on for dear life!”
- Well I was right that Haren had seen his last batter in the 6th.Â I’m still surprised that Macha is using Duchscherer in the 7th.Â Going for the kill I guess.
- Duchscherer is perfect in the 7th. Onto the bottom half.
- OK, two outs, Thomas on first, Chavey at the plate.Â Can Chavey go 3 for 3 with two homers?
- I guess not if they walk him…
- A note to the Twinkies: you can’t have 3 errors in a game and expect to win.Â Payton loads the bases on a fielding error.
- OK, it’s Swisher’s last chance today to impress.Â He’s been on-again-off-again for quite a while now.Â It’s time to get on-again.
- A second note to the Twinkies: you don’t walk a player with the bases loaded, particularly if you’re trying to get by Swisher to Scutaro.Â Come on Scoot!Â Bring ‘em home!
- Scutaro does it AGAIN!Â A bases clearing double!Â I sure hope he gets the series MVP.Â He deserves it.Â A’s up 8-0.Â Do I hear a fat lady entering the building?
- I don’t even care that Jimenez struck out to end the inning…
- The Twinkies go down in order… only 3 outs to go! (post release note: somehow I missed a 1 run homer by Morneau in there… that guy definitely did his part today)
- This is where Kendall thrives: completely meaningless at bats.Â Maybe he’ll hit his 2nd home run of the season.
- Eh, I guess the insulting Kendall thing doesn’t always work.Â It’s probably good the A’s go down in order.Â Let’s get this over with.
- Apparently they were listening… OK A’s fans, here we go.
- First up: White.Â If we can get through him, the bottom of the order shouldn’t be any trouble.
- Interestingly Macha left Duchscherer in.Â I guess everyone gets a long rest after today while we wait for the other series to wrap up.
- Oops, nevermind.Â Macha brought in Street.Â I guess it doesn’t matter but it’s kinda stupid.Â It’s not a save situation.
- Street get’s the job done!
A’s win!Â The monkey is off our back!!!Â What a great series.Â I sure hope that Scutaro gets the MVP.Â I’m also rooting for the Tigers to beat the Yanks.Â Nothing like having the first games of the Penant series at home and not having to go through New York.